Saturday, March 25, 2006

Bueno Aires,Argentina

Well, I´ve settled in quite well here, I´m not really doing much travelling, as I´ve signed up for 10 hours worth of Spanish lessons, and so I've planned lots of day trips. I'm having the lessons on my own, which makes it quite an intense experience, although I´m not quite sure how good a teacher she is, it may also be it´s quite hard, and a large bit may be the way Cubans and many Spanish speakers pronounce the ll in Calle is a y sound in English, but here they prounounce it sh, which is a huge challenge before you even start, if you've learnt it the other way, so yo(i) becomes sho, ayah. I did a really nice day trip to Tigre, a little place in the suburbs which has many water ways and so you have to take water taxis to get anywhere, I enjoyed the peace and quiet, and really noticed the smog when I got back.
I´ve met some great people here, and chatted, at the latest, to 6 in the morning, which doesn´t seem to be that odd here with many people not going to bed until the morning. The beef is really good here, and you don´t need to ask for it to be medium. Their are some really good art galleries here, displaying art from a good variety of artists, one of the local ones I quite like is Xol Solar.
There seem to be quite a lot of protests out here, and seen more riot police here than I have ever seen before in my life!!!!, I´ve seen tyres being burnt as well, and the sounds of something like bullets being fired.
Tomorrow I´m off to Uraguay for the day to Colonia, which should be good fun, as get another stamp in the passport, play with another exchange rate, but don´t have to carry my bag which is a huge bonus!!!!!
I´m ready to come home now, I feel it´s been an absolutely fantastic adventure, meeting lots of great people, some who I hope I´ll manage to keep in contact with. Seen suberb scenery, and with South America got a taste of the place, to give me enough motivation to continue with learning Spanish so I can come back and visit rural places with confidence that I can handle most situations. I could also easily write off the top of my head a plan for another month in South Africa. It´s been great meeting lots of my family who are spread across the world, and seeing the countries where my family comes from. It´s going to be quite odd being back at home, having my own space, not having to share my space with lots of strangers, and having some routine. It´s also going to be great having a kitchen with everything I need and want, especially spices. I´m also looking forward to catching up with everyone back at home, preferably with a nice pint of English Bitter, and back when people are starting to have parties after hibernating for winter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home