Saturday, January 07, 2006

Thursday(Lions Peak)

Yet another great day, it was really nice having the extra time in Cape Town, I started off by getting a ticket, and was quite lucky as there were only 2 seats left on the three buses that were departing that day. I then looked at the shops, and I wonder if I’ll end up with any souvenirs as nothing really appealed, I think also helped by the fact I’ll have to lug it around for another 4 months.


In the afternoon wandered up towards Table Mountain and go up Lions Peak, and first took a wrong road, but was good as I got to see a pair of _________, a very territorial bird and got a bit of a fright after seeing them showing off their wingspan, as I had one running towards me, which was also slightly delayed, and I was looking at the camera screen. Mind you they also retreated too. When I found the actual path I saw a scorpion which was a rewarding experience for trying to spot wildlife. I ran out of time before reaching the peak so another reason to visit Cape Town again :-)
I thought it was much better going to Swellendam, a town nestled below some of the best peaks in the Langeberg range, by a Greyhound coach rather than Bazbus, as I was sitting next to an interesting 24yr old medic from Llanga , and talked about safety, HIV, ambitions and culture( such as 21st vs. 18th being a big thing). Where the bus stopped at 11.30pm in Swellendam had moved and so was concerned about getting lost in the pitch darkness. I was given a lift by some bar staff who were just shutting up their bar for the evening, I’m not sure how well I would have done with out their lift, as some people turned up the following day after spending 2 hours driving around the town lost.
Swellendam Backpackers(www.swellendambackpackers.co.za) is really nice with a good choice of accommodation, Wendy cottages, tents, and rooms. Most importantly the beds seem quite comfy, on the first night I had to make a choice of hearing the lovely sound of Cirdaca chirping away, interrupted by the dulcet sounds of snoring or the silence of ear plugs, and if the ensuing search in the dark for them I unfortunately probably disturbed people, plus I also failed to find them. The air in Swellendam is fantastic, and lovely and fresh, and had the peaks which used to be used by farmers as sundials to tell the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home